SHOP – Small Business Health Options Program
The Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Marketplace helps small businesses provide health coverage to their employees.
The SHOP Marketplace is open to employers with 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees (FTEs), including non-profit organizations. You can enroll in SHOP at any point throughout the year.
Benefits of the SHOP Marketplace
- • The SHOP Marketplace allows you to offer high-quality health and dental coverage that meets the needs of your business and your employees. SHOP offers flexibility, choice, and the convenience of online application and account management.
- • You control the coverage you offer and how much you pay toward employee premiums. You choose whether to offer dependent coverage and dental insurance. You choose how long your employees’ Open Enrollment Period is, and the waiting period before new employees can enroll.
- • You can use your current agent or broker to help you enroll, find a new agent or broker in your area familiar with SHOP plans, or handle your enrollment yourself. When you apply, you can search for agents and brokers registered to sell SHOP plans by ZIP code.
- • You can enroll in SHOP any month, any time of year. There’s no restricted enrollment period when you can start offering a SHOP plan.
- • You can choose a coverage category, like Bronze or Silver, and let your employees choose any plan in that category.
- • If you enroll in SHOP coverage and have fewer than 25 employees, you may qualify for a Small Business Health Care Tax Credit worth up to 50% of your premium costs. The tax credit is available only for plans bought through the SHOP Marketplace.
To read more about the SHOP Marketplace, visit SHOP Overview from healthcare.gov